Did you know that peas are a great vegetarian source of protein?
Apart from protein, peas are rich in fibre, Vitamin K, folic acid, manganese and Vitamin C. Versatility of peas is such that it is available in nearly all seasons and can be eaten as a snack, added to numerous dishes and even salads. Health benefits of green peas can be amazing for your child's growth as well. What's more is that green peas may behave like a natural probiotic - which are an essential requirement for improved gut health.
Lifestyle coach Luke Coutinho further highlights that green peas are low in fat, cholesterol and calories. In one of his recent live sessions on Facebook, he elaborates on the many health benefits of green peas and why they must be a part of your diet for good health and weight loss.
Health benefits of protein rich green peas and why they must be a part of your daily diet
1. They are good for diabetics: Peas are rich in protein in fibre, and do not allow rapid increase in blood sugar levels. Green peas have low glycemic index and are thus safe for diabetics (in small portions).
2. They are low in calories: 100 gms of peas contain nothing more than 80 calories. If you are trying to lose weight, peas can be the top most low calorie and delicious food for you.
3. Peas are rich in fibre: People who are constipated need to increase their consumption of fibre as it helps in forming the bulk of stools. Insoluble fibre in peas can make you feel full for longer and reduce constipation.
4. Peas are great for your skin: Green peas are rich in Vitamin C, a nutrient which is required for production of collagen. Adequate collagen can help you have a firm skin.
5. They can boost immunity: If you have a weak immunity and fall sick too often, then peas are the food for you.
6. They are rich in protein: One cup of green peas can give you 8 gm protein. Green peas are a great source of protein for vegans and vegetarians. Protein rich foods are required for weight loss, build up of muscle mass, reducing appetite and curbing hunger pangs.
7. Green peas can help in boosting sperm count: Green peas can be helpful for men facing fertility issues because of low sperm count. Green peas can improve sperm count and sperm quality.
8. Green peas are good for heart health: Insoluble fibre in green peas are great for heart health. It can be great for improving your cardiovascular health.
9. Eye health: Lutein is carotenoid in green peas is helpful in reducing cataracts. Green peas can also help in improving blurred or lost vision and overall eye health.
10. Antioxidants in peas can inhibit H. pylori bacteria: Phytoalexins are antioxidants in green peas can help in inhibiting H. pylori bacteria. H. pylori bacteria in the human body can cause extreme acidity, inability to digest food, feeling of tightness in chest while eating food and much more.
11. Low iron levels and anaemia: Green peas are a rich source of iron and can be extremely helpful for people with anaemia.
12. Green peas have naturally occurring probiotic: Luke says that a research from Japan mentions that green peas may have naturally occurring probiotic. However, more research is needed to justify this claim.